Buses and Tricycles Don't Make A Good Mix in Metro Manila Traffic

Traffic jam in Metro Manila on a Sunday? This happened around 11am on October 18, 2009 at E. Rodriguez Avenue, approximate in front of Saint Joseph.

It turned out that a provincial bus was stuck with a tricycle that hit its rear.

Whew! Was it fair for a bus full of passengers to stop in the middle of E. Rodriguez Ave., a major highway in Metro Manila, because the bus driver had to deal with a tricycle driver which hit the rear of his bus?

I have difficulty looking at this situation as reasonable. In fact I found it absurd! Forgive the word. 


Why?


I didn't find the presence of tricycles in E. Rodriguez as reasonable. Were they allowed to ply that route in the first place? Buses and tricycles don't make a safe mix, for the passengers's sake.

So, this was a question of traffic policy.

It was Sunday. I didn't find it reasonable for the tricycle to tailgate the bus. Or why did he hit the rear of the bus in the first place? How difficult was it to halt a tricycle?

So, this was a question of road discipline.

I didn't know if issues like this will continue to persist by the time my six-year old son becomes a father himself. Gosh, can it really take that long for this country to learn anything?

Sorry for my display of pessimism. It's not worth emulating. I stand corrected.

Alright, I pray some policy maker gets to read this blog and do something productive about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Reasons Why Filipinos speak English, rather than Tagalog

Chasing Street Names in Metro Manila

Filipino Dream vs American Dream